About the event
Women in Local Government is back for 2021 and will take place online on Thursday 2 December 2021.
Despite making up 78% of the local government workforce, women account for only 17% of local authority leaders and 33% of council chief executives – statistics which have hardly changed for a decade. Meanwhile, following the 2019 council elections, just 35% of councillors are female, further representing lack of meaningful progress for women in Local Government. In the context of constitutional change and devolution, it is more important than ever that leadership teams in local government are fully representative of the populations they serve.
Following hugely successful events over the past three years, Women in Local Government returns online for 2021 to offer practical advice and coaching on how to address the barriers affecting your progression and further develop your career in times of change.
- Identify the unique leadership challenges and opportunities facing women in local government today
- Learn how successful women negotiate for what they need to be effective leaders
- Gain a deeper understanding of the skills, qualities and attributes needed to be a successful leader
- Raise the visibility of women as senior leaders in local government
- Create a lasting network of women leaders who are effecting change across local government
Our 2020 Speakers
- Councillor Rachael Robathan, Leader, Westminster City Council
- Councillor Sharon Thompson, Cabinet Member for Homes and Neighbourhoods, Birmingham City Council
- Dame Margaret Hodge, MP for Barking
- Councillor Sue Baxter, Chairman, the National Association of Local Councils (NALC)
- Councillor Marianne Overton MBE, Vice Chair, Local Government Association, Leader, LGA Independent Group & Vice-Chair, Women’s Local Government Society
- Councillor Mrs. Lesley Clarke OBE, Chairman, Women’s Local Government Society, Chairman, Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes Fire Authority
- Susan Parsonage, Chief Executive, Wokingham Council
- Cath Baxter, Professional Voice and Public Speaking Consultant & former Head of Voice, Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
Who should attend?
This event is aimed at all those who aspire to move into a leadership role in local government or those already in a senior role looking to progress. If you are passionate about, and committed to, improving your own performance, and that of your team and your organisation, then this event is for you.
To register for Women in Local Government, please click here.
- 1 place: £295 + VAT (each)
- 4 places or more: £250 + VAT (each)
- 1 place: £695 + VAT (each)