About the event
Despite making up 75% of local government jobs, women only account for 24% of local authority chief executives. Meanwhile, just 30% of councillors are female, and there has been little movement in this figure for many years. It is more important than ever that leadership teams in local government are fully representative of the populations they serve.
Following two hugely successful events in London, and an inaugural event in Manchester in 2018, Women in Local Government returns to London in 2019 to offer practical advice and coaching on how to address the barriers affecting your progression and further develop your career in times of change.
- Identify the unique leadership challenges and opportunities facing women in local government today
- Learn how successful women negotiate for what they need to be effective leaders
- Gain a deeper understanding of the skills, qualities and attributes needed to be a successful leader
- Raise the visibility of women as senior leaders in local government
- Create a lasting network of women leaders who are effecting change across local government
2019 speakers include:
- Councillor Catherine Rose, Mayor of Southwark
- Mary Harpley, Chief Officer, Greater London Authority
- Sam Smethers, Chief Executive, The Fawcett Society
- Claire Porter, Head of External Affairs, The New Local Government Network
- Lesley Seary, Chief Executive, London Borough of Islington
- Dame Margaret Hodge, MP for Barking & Dagenham
- Councillor Naheed Mather, Cabinet Member for Communities & Environment, Kirklees Council
- Councillor Marianne Overton MBE, Vice Chair, Local Government Association, Leader, LGA Independent Group & Vice-Chair, Women’s Local Government Society
- Dame Jane Roberts, Chair, New Local Government Network
- Julian Bowrey, Director, Julian Bowrey Consultants and Former Deputy Director, Digital & Corporate Communication, DCLG
Who should attend?
This event is aimed at all those who aspire to move into a leadership role in local government or those already in a senior role looking to progress. If you are passionate about, and committed to, improving your own performance, and that of your team and your organisation, then this event is for you.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available to confirm your attendance.
Public sector rate: 1 place: £295 + VAT | 4 places or more: £250 + VAT
Others: 1 place: £695 + VAT
Register here to secure your place