About the event
Despite making up 75% of local government jobs, women only account for 24% of local authority chief executives. Meanwhile, just 30% of councillors are female, and there has been little movement in this figure for many years. It is more important than ever that leadership teams in local government are fully representative of the populations they serve.
The Women in Local Government conference brings together women from local government to offer practical advice and coaching on how to address the barriers affecting your progression and further develop your career in times of change.
- Identify the unique leadership challenges and opportunities facing women in local government today
- Learn how successful women negotiate for what they need to be effective leaders
- Gain a deeper understanding of the skills, qualities and attributes needed to be a successful leader
- Raise the visibility of women as senior leaders in local government
- Create a lasting network of women leaders who are effecting change across local government
- Joanne Roney OBE, Chief Executive, Manchester City Council
- Jo Farrar, Director General for Local Government and Public Services, DCLG
- Donna Hall, Chief Executive, Wigan Council
- Sarah Pickup, Deputy Chief Executive, Local Government Association
- Dame Margaret Hodge, MP for Barking
- Cllr Brigid Jones, Selly Oak Ward and Cabinet Member for Children, Families and Schools
- Sam Smethers, Chief Executive, The Fawcett Society
- Dr Shaminder Takhar, Associate Professor in Sociology, London South Bank University
- Jo Miller, Chief Executive, Doncaster Council & President, Solace
Who should attend?
This event is aimed at all those who aspire to move into a leadership role in local government or those already in a senior role looking to progress. If you are passionate about, and committed to, improving your own performance, and that of your team and your organisation, then this event is for you.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available to confirm your attendance.
Public sector rate: 1 place: £295 + VAT | 4 places or more: £250 + VAT
Others: 1 place: £695 + VAT
*Register before Friday 10th November for a 10% early bird booking discount on the above prices*
Register here to secure your place